b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense and aspect; was: "The use of "

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense and aspect; was: "The use of "
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:23:12 +1000

Rolf,

I wonder whether you are accepting an assumption about Hebrew without
subjecting it to scrutiny. Please correct me if I'm wrong in how I'm reading
you:

You ask whether WAYYIQTOL represents past tense. However, in asking this, are
you importing the standard convention of Indo-European languages, which tell
stories in past tense? That is, how do you know that Hebrew tells stories
with a basic past reference? How do you know that Hebrew doesn't tell stories
in present tense, such that WAYYIQTOL is effectively a present tense?

Feel free either to answer, question, or go to town on me.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au