b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root BR)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root BR)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:26:13 -0700

Isaac:
This time you came up with a good point.

I see no linguistic reason to say that BR) means anything other than
"create", which allows that its use in Ezekiel indicates that Ezekiel, the
man, was to create.

This is unlike SLX, which is never used except with God being the actor
(which gives insight to the New Testament, when Jesus forgave sins, those
who studied Tanakh questioned, "Who does he think he is?" Their question is
understandable in light of this background. I think most Christians are too
harsh on those questioners.).

As for the use of BR) in Qohelet 12, I understand the plural to be a
counterpart to the use of )LHYM, a plural noun to refer to a single God,
meaning that here the preacher is pointing to God as the creator. I think
that is further brought out in that human descent in no other case uses BR),
rather YLD in some form is used, therefore it is very unlikely that this
refers to elders or ancestors.

Karl W. Randolph.