b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exo 20:9-10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew mailing list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exo 20:9-10
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:32:01 -0700

Pere:
Part of understanding the language is to fit it into the culture it is used.

Having lived in a rural society, there are many things that need to be done
seven days a week, like feeding the animals, milking cows, and so forth. But
in a subsistence farming society where the farmer would have only a few
animals, those tasks usually took only a short while.

But farmers, particularly those who have a fairly good sized spread, really
work hard during plowing and harvest, often a month or more of 18 hour days,
seven days a week. Hence Exodus 34:21. Then there were many other tasks
around the farm: weeding, taking care of the buildings and equipment, sewing
clothes, and so forth, which if all done can keep a farmer and his family
quite busy. The temptation is to work constantly. So the concept of
mandating a ceasing to the work in that day was revolutionary. The idea was
not to command that work should be done six days a week, rather that one day
a week there should be a ceasing to the work ($BT = "stop").

Similarly, many societies commanded work seven days a week, even in the
non-farm sector.

As for which day in the week to stop working, that is a theological issue I
won't touch. Further, there is no where that having two days a week off work
is frowned on, as long as it does not lead to laziness.

Karl W. Randolph.