b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is there an exactly specific number of witnesses?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew mailing list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is there an exactly specific number of witnesses?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:32:26 -0400

Jeremy,

This is probably a question that should be asked on the TC-List
(textualcriticim AT yahoogroups.com). But, the short answer is: there is no
comprehensive database, because not all the manuscripts have been
collated. The number is in flux also. For example, this summer a team
under Wallace discovered several new Greek mss.

The number I hear bounced around for Greek mss. is about 5,000. I am not
sure about the Hebrew.

HTH,
James

James Spinti