b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] xrm and the Canaanites' VIP treatment

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] xrm and the Canaanites' VIP treatment
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:35:11 -0800

Dear Karl,

You did not misread the Hebrew. BeCoRO has the prefixed preposition B-. I take
the preposition to be "at," not "by." Thus, "at the cost of" to indicate that
the sons will pay the price of rebuilding Jericho. Whether that means
"sacrifice" in the sense of "human sacrifice" is another issue altogether. I
take it to mean to mean that the rebuilding of Jericho will personally cost
Hiel
by the deaths of his own sons, i.e., agency. The sons of Hiel were the agents.
Instrumentality requires some type of impersonal object.

Your referencences to Micah 3;10 and Habakkuk 2:10 would also indicate that
blood and injustice are not necessarily "human sacrifice," but the use of
immoral means to accomplish the ends indicated. An example of just such
immoral
acts is the taking of Naboth's Vineyard by Ahab's wife and queen, Jezebel who
had two men commit perjury to have Naboth put to death. Thus, blood = murder,
injustice = bribery/perjury are used to achieve one's own ends = the end
justify
the means = Machiavelli.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III