b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:14:07 -0400

I was hoping that some b-Hebrew scholar might be able to provide a little
“peer review” of Nehemia Gordon’s statement previously quoted:

The form Yah follows an ancient practice of taking the first and last
letter of a word to express its abbreviation.
So the first and last letters of YHVH produce the abbreviation Yah.

Nehemia Gordon had the following footnote related to the above sentence.
[he provided a Greek example, not a Hebrew example]

This type of abbreviation is very common in Greek. For example, KE is a
very common abbreviation for Kourie, Lord.

Nehemia Gordon receives support from James Strong who transliterates YFH.
as Yahh, and then defines it as a contraction of Y:HOWFH, and means the
same.
It appears that James Strong believed that the Heh in YFH. represented
the final Heh in
Y:HOWFH.
Dave Donnelly
P.S. Solomon,
I'll post this question on YHWHgroup. Maybe Garth Grenache can add some
input.

How well-attested is this practice for the time in which the Hebrew Bible
was being written, and what are some other examples of it in the Hebrew
Bible?
Solomon Landers