b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 13:20:37 -0400

In an article titled “The Pronunciation of the Name”,
Nehemia Gordon wrote:

“The Samaritans called it IABE while the Jews AIA”
The form AIA (pronounced A-Yah) indicates that the Jews called God
by the abbreviated form of His name YFH. Yah
which appears numerous times throughout Scripture.
The form Yah follows an ancient practice of taking the first and last
letter of a word
to express its abbreviation.
So the first and last letters of YHVH produce the abbreviation Yah.
>>>.
Nehemia Gordon goes on to explain his belief that the first “A” in “AIA”
is a Prosthetic Aleph.
Dave Donnelly