b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Joshua Blau

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Joshua Blau
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:00:08 +1000

His volume of collected essays---Topics in Hebrew and Semitic Linguistics---is worthwhile having, depending on what you do.

His grammar is good to have if you like having grammars around, but since he has a new one coming, it seems, I'd probably wait and have a look at that.

Other worthwhile works, although not all dealing with things Arabic, are:

Blau, Joshua. 1954. “Zum angeblichen Gebrauch von את vor dem Nominativ.” Vetus Testamentum 4: 7-19.
Blau, Joshua. 1956. “Gibt es ein emphatisches ’et im Bibelhebraeisch.” Vetus Testamentum 6: 211-212.
Blau, Joshua. 1957. “Über die t-Form des hif‘il im Bibelhebräisch.” Vetus Testamentum 7: 385-388.
Blau, Joshua. 1997. “וסעיפיה המקרא עברית השתלשלות על ערביסטן של הרהוריו [The Structure of Biblical and Dead Sea Scrolls Hebrew in Light of Arabic Diglossia and Middle Arabic].” Lĕšonénu 60: 21-32.
Blau, Joshua. 2006. “Problems of Noun Inflection in Arabic: Reflections on the Diptote Declension.” Pages 27-31 in Biblical Hebrew in Its Northwest Semitic Setting: Typological and Historical Perspectives. Edited by Steven E. Fassberg and Avi Hurvitz. Jerusalem: Magnes.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Hi all,

I have seen some interesting sounding titles by Joshua Blau - but they all
seem a bit hard to find and slightly pricey. In addition most are listed by
booksellers in Israel - and I am not proficient in modern Hebrew!

I have been studying the relationship of Hebrew to Arabic and Aramaic - particularly in terms of common derivation from an original protosemitic language or group of dialects. I have Gesenius, Jouon/Muraoka, Waltke, vander Merwe, Berstrasser, and Kaltner (Beyond Babel) among others.
Would anyone here recommend anything by Blau?

Additionally are there any other recommended semitics books? Moscati perhaps?

Thanks to all.

Charles Meadows
Marshall University
USA