b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] psalm 22:9 and 15 as heap

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] psalm 22:9 and 15 as heap
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 05:09:34 +0000

I have a few strange ideas about a different way of translating Psalm 22. I am not trying to make a religious argument about if the psalm is messianic or not. I know that my ideas are wacky and that I am a crackpot, but I would like to find out what people who know Hebrew think about these ideas, and they don't have an internet site especially for crackpots to ask their strange Hebrew questions.

Psalm 22:9 is usually translated as "commit to the L-rd" or "he trusted on the L-rd", but maybe it could say "a heap is to the L-rd".

Psalm 22:15 says something like "like water I was poured out, and all of my bones have parted, my heart was like wax melted in the midst of my inner parts". Maybe it could say "in the midst of a heap" (mem ayin yud). If your bones separate, wouldn't it mean that you would collapse into a heap?

In Psalm 22:7, the writer compares himself to a worm. A worm does not have hands, feet, or bones. Maybe if a person's bones separate, he would collapse into a heap and be worm-like because he would not have any structure to support his body.

Maybe Psalm 22:17 might say that "dogs have surrounded me... like a lion, my hands and my feet I will count, all of my bones they will see..." Maybe he went from feeling weak like a worm to later feeling strong like a lion, and his enemies went from being strong bulls surrounding him to weak dogs surrounding him.

A worm does not have hands, feet, and bones, but a lion does. Maybe that is why he would mention that he has hands, feet, and bones ( a structure to support his body). As a worm and a heap, he had no bones to support him.

Please tell me the many ways I am wrong. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kenneth Greifer