b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Joshua Blau

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Joshua Blau
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:43:00 +0000

On 8/2/06, Charles Meadows wrote:

Hi all,

I have seen some interesting sounding titles by Joshua Blau [...] and I am
not proficient in modern Hebrew!

I have been studying the relationship of Hebrew to Arabic and Aramaic -
particularly in terms of common derivation from an original protosemitic
language or group of dialects. I have Gesenius, Jouon/Muraoka, Waltke,
vander Merwe, Berstrasser, and Kaltner (Beyond Babel) among others.

Would anyone here recommend anything by Blau?

Additionally are there any other recommended semitics books? Moscati perhaps?

The following (English) articles by Blau have been useful to me:
"The Parallel Development of the Feminine Ending -at in Semitic Languages"
Hebrew Union College Annual (HUCA) 51 (1980), p. 17-28.
"Short Philological Notes on the Inscription of Me$a(", Maarav 2/2 (1979-80),
p. 143-157.

Also, I found useful an Hebrew article of Blau's refuting Rendsburg's
suggestion
that the Hebrew of the Bible has dual forms.

Also useful in terms of Semitics reconstruction were a few articles by Joshua
Fox and the various Encyclopedia entries in the Cambridge Encyclopedia of the
World's Ancient Languages. There is also a book "The Semitic Languages" ed
Robert Hetzron that I haven't been able to get a hold of. A nice
internet piece is
John Huehnergard's review of Proto-Semitic at
http://www.bartleby.com/61/10.html

You might want to look up some of the above authors in RAMBI:
http://libnet.ac.il/~libnet/rmb/

Yitzhak Sapir
http://toldot.blogspot.com