b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 21:10, 13 blessing?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 21:10, 13 blessing?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:03:20 -0800

Dear Karl,

BDB, " barak," p. 139, "piel," #5, says" 'bless, with the antithetical meaning
curse (Thes) from the greeting in departing, saying adieu to , taking leave
of;
but rather a blessing overdone and so really a curse as vulgar English as well
as in the Shemitic cognates: I K 21:10.13; Jb 1:5.11, 2.5, 9; Ps 10:3.'" In
the
passage I Kings 21:9-14, reference is made in the Hebrew Text to "beni-belial,
'sons of belial.' This would tell me that any so-called "blessing" coming from
evil people is, in reality and fact, "a curse." Also the LXX in both places
in I
Kings 21:10, "EULOGHSE," and "EULOGHKAS" in verse 13. This is reasonable in
that
EULOGEW is used to translate BRK in the LXX. Again, the LXX uses "hUIOS
PARANOMWN" in verse 10, and "hUIOI PARANOMWN" in verse 13 that reinforces the
idea of the "Sons of the Evil One" claiming the "blessing" Naboth supposedly
gave was a "curse."

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III