b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 21:10, 13 blessing?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 21:10, 13 blessing?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:00:58 -0500

Dear B-Hebrew Haburim:

In 1 Kings 21:10, 13, the traditional understanding
is that BRK refers to blessing. In both cases it is
pointed as a Piel.

If this is the accusation by which Naboth is
condemned, it does not make sense, in that this is
what a citizen is supposed to do. From the context,
I understand that this is the supposed fault that
Naboth did that earned him his death sentence. Or
do I miss something?

One option is that this is the final command given
to the condemned, sort of like "Say your prayers
before we execute you."

Or are we dealing with the wrong definition, that
it has the meaning that Naboth put down God and the
king, i.e. that he made them so to speak kneel?

Another is that it was incorrectly pointed, rather
we are dealing with a different root? Possibly that
this is a prefixed B followed by a participle?

Is this a similar case as Ezekiel 3:12 where a root
connected with blessing doesn't seem to fit?

What do you all think?