b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:47:36 +0100

The wealth of attestations of Hebrew name transliterations stands
overwhelmingly
against your reasoning here. I am not aware of even one Greek transliteration
of
a Hebrew name which attempts to represent the 'he'. The greeks could only
pronounce
a 'he' at the very beginning of a name e.g. HO THEOS and the difference
between
such an aspiration and a gamma was more than evident to Greek speakers.

Of course, if you can find examples of Hebrew names transliterated with a
gamma in
the place of the 'he' then I will have to reconsider my position on this.