b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:00:45 -0500

Peter:

Your examples are right, where we are dealing with the grammatical )Y$ (in
the same manner English used the "he") to refer to the indeterminate third
person.

However, the example brought up by Dora from the context indicates that we
are dealing with a man as opposed to a woman. It is still an indeterminate
reference ("any man") but it is set in contrast to "woman".

It is the context that allows us to recognize the grammatical )Y$.

Karl W. Randolph.