b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:44:51 +0000

On 31/12/2004 01:26, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

Or could the verb have a meaning in this context something like "dry up" or "depart from"? If so, there is a reasonable non-interrogative interpretation.

HH: PUC means be dispersed, be scattered.

If it can only mean precisely that, then the traditional interpretation is just as impossible as you consider Karl's to be. Just as "Nobody disperses channels of water away from someone's eyes", nobody disperses or scatters springs outwards. I suppose springs may be dispersed in geographical location, but that cannot work as any kind of modal as their geographical locations are fixed. So we have to work with some kind of extension of the meaning. In the context of water from springs, the metaphorical extenstion from the spring water being dispersed i.e. not welling up in distinct springs to the springs drying up seems to me a rather probable one.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)