b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Self-mutilation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Self-mutilation
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:24:20 -0500

Yigal:

We have here two very similar roots:

GDD in the verbal form always in hitpael referring to cutting out parts of
the body as self mutilation. It is my understanding that in ancient societies
self mutilation was rather common, from taking out strips of skin to make
scars to cutting off fingers and toes as a form of mourning.

GWD is listed as being used in Genesus 49:19, Habakkuk 3:16 and Psalm 94:21
and the basic meaning is listed as to despoil.

I understand the word GDWD referring to a squad of soldiers from the idea of
cutting them out from the main army and sending them out. Once it is used in
Psalm 65:11 to refer to a clod of dirt cut out during plowing.

GDDH in plural is used once, again referring to cutting out to make scars.

Is the word used in Jeremiah 5:7 from GDD meaning cutting out or possibly
hitpolel of GWD to despoil. I personally understand it as meaning "house of
prostitution self mutilates" using the metaphore that the people serving
other gods are like prostitutes, and in that service of other gods they
practice scarification and other self mutilation condemned in Torah. (The
phrase lacks the word "in" so the idea of being "in a house of prostitution"
doesn't fit.)

Karl W. Randolph.