b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Self-mutilation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Self-mutilation
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 08:59:29 +0200

Hi Marianne, Hag Sameah!

The basic meaning of GDD seems to be "to cut". As a noun, it's most common
in the word "Gedud", which is a group of people, as in a military unit
(compare a "division"). As a verb, it appears in quite a few forms, and the
exact meaning has to be determined by context. In 1 Kings 18:28
"vayyitgodedu" in hithpael means "they cut themselves" - with the swords and
lances mentioned next.
So the root GDD does not mean "self-mutilation" per se, but can be
understood as meaning "they cut themselves" in this context and in this
form.

Yigal