b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Self-mutilation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Self-mutilation
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:04:49 +0200

Just as an addendum to the below, in Jer. 5:7 the hithpael "yitgodadu" means
"they have gathered themselves". KJV has it "they have assembled themselves
by troops" in the harlots' houses. Unless they were really into something
kinky, there's no reason to suspect self-mutilation there. So, as I wrote -
the meaning of GDD has to be understood by its context.

Yigal