b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:49:11 -0700

On 9/27/03 11:03 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

> Read any book on textual criticism. The change from )LHYM to ML)KYM (or
> vice versa) requires one addition (or deletion), one transposition and
> one improbable change of a letter all within one word. Such things just
> don't happen.

This is a classic straw man argument. I assumes a particular text critical
scenario that I never suggested nor was it even in the perimeter of my
thinking. You are assuming that the variant is a transmission error not an
intentional change. Based on the theological significance of the variant I
would be looking for an intentional change not a scribal error.

Who are you arguing with Peter? Not me. I never suggested anything like this
took place. There are a score of other text critical scenarios which you are
just ignoring. According to Hatch/Redpath aggelos in the LXX renders 15 or
more different hebrew lexemes.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew