b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philip" <phil-eng AT ighmail.com>
  • To: "Trevor Peterson" <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>, "BIblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:23:11 -0000

"I'm assuming, of course, that elohim was in the Vorlage."

First of all, which Vorlage? The LXX Vorlage or the MT Vorlage?

In any case, I think that for Psalm 8,there is no difference between the LXX
vorlage and the MT vorlage. i.e. I think that the LXX translators simply
used the MT vorlage, i.e. the unpointed MT consonantal text as the source
text for their LXX translation.

A careful comparison of the MT against the LXX of Psalm 8:6[5] reveals an
almost word-for-word verbatim presentation. It is highly unlikely that the
LXX vorlage of Psalm 8:6[5] is different from the MT vorlage of Psalm
8:6[5]. In view of the word-for-word verbatim presentation of the MT and
LXX, it is highly likely that the LXX was translated verbatim from the MT
vorlage, i.e. the unpointed MT consonantal text. It is a fair assumption,
based on available evidence, and the fact that neither the LXX vorlage nor
the MT vorlage is extant, that the LXX translators considered the unpointed
word elohim, which was in the MT vorlage, and translated it as aggelous.

Philip Engmann,
Student, OTS