b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] elohim versus aggelous, Psalm 8:6[5] MT verses LXX
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:38:37 -0500

Dear Rolf:

I wonder if words have changed meaning, or our understanding thereof has.

Where in Tanakh is )LHYM used for something other than an object to be
worshipped? My understanding is that that never happens, though the term is
used for false gods worshipped ineffectually. Could this be a post-exilic
understanding of the term?

Or is it that aggelos had a broader meaning than our present fairly
restricted understanding? Or is this something peculiar to Jewish
understanding of the term?

An example of a different word whose meaning has changed since ancient times
is from ancient Greek religions: there were two main types that I was taught
about, those whose truths were logically parsed and those where the truths
were recieved as a result of a revelation. The latter were called
“revelation” religions, however most people translate them as “mystery”
religions because our modern understanding of “musterion” is almost opposite
to the ancient meaning (maybe because to those who did not know the
revelation, it was a mystery).

Likewise, I wonder if modern understanding of aggelos causes us to
misunderstand the translator’s intent? Or did he have a different
understanding of )LHYM?

Any clues?

Karl W. Randolph.