b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 17:42:24 -0500

Dear Yigal:

Thanks for your reply.

No, I don’t think I am grasping at straws, trying to preserve my reading,
rather I want to see the evidence pro and con. After all, the reason I ask is
to be shot down if I am wrong. But I want good, solid reasons that I
understand.

I am cautious about late Hebrew definitions, wondering if they are the result
of theological disputes or Aramaic influences. But I still want to hear them.

For example, GZR in Hebrew meant ‘to sever’, but the last use of GZR in
Tenakh was in Esther, where the writer used the Aramaic term ‘to decree’ in
the Hebrew text instead of the Hebrew word XQQ.

Concerning NDN, both German (Scheibe) and Latin (vagina) have one word that
means both a sheath for a sword and a woman’s vagina. These are two
Indo-European languages. In Hebrew, it appears to have the same two meanings.
Within the context, the verse appears to make more sense as ‘vagina’ unless
it is used as a euphemism implying the same. What evidence is there in Hebrew
other than late Hebrew influenced by Aramaic or red faces to read it other
than as I have?

As for NDH, I found your response unconvincing. However, we’re here to
discuss, not argue—thank you for responding.

Thanks again.

Karl W. Randolph.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup