b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:17:43 -0400

At 01:42 AM 6/3/2003 -0500, Karl Randolph wrote:
>Dear Yigal:
>
>How late is “later Hebrew”?

In the Mishnah, but I don't have the refference right now. The Medieval and
modern form (taken from the Aramaic) is "Nedunia".

>The only other use of “nedan” in Tenakh is in 1 Chronicles 21:27, where it
means ‘sheath’ (vagina in Latin).

But having no sexual connotation - once again, just a sheath for a sword. I
don't know if the two are connected.

>As for “nedah”, does it not come from the root meaning to eject, expel?

No. That's Niddah, a different word. And even that simply means "cast
aside", and refers to a woman's STATE during menstruation, not to the
actual menstrual fluid. It is NEVER used for semen.

>Thus it appears so me that the red faces as per my original posting led to
a change in the meaning of the Hebrew words.

As I said, I think that this time you're chasing shadows.

Yigal