b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Are peh, taw and kaf aspirated in Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Are peh, taw and kaf aspirated in Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:35:09 -0500

Dear Peter Kirk:

I know that when I utilize the Majority Text, I’m using later MMS than
Vaticanus, Sinaiticus, et al. But I’m influenced to think that the Majority
Text is a more accurate transmission of the original text because:

We have a clear statement that there was a pronunciation difference between
Galilee and Judea, the Majority text preserves one, the others seem to have
cleaned it up.

If the Hebrew alphabet was original to Israel, and that the Phonoecians
learned the alphabet from Israel instead of the other way around, then most
likely each letter had only one pronunciation instead of BGDKPST having two
phones as during the Talmudic period, and the tet and samech having different
phones (the theta and x sounds respectively). The differences in
pronunciation appear to mirror the direction of the pronunciation changes as
I understand it.

I personally believe that the Hebrew language, after the Galut Babel, pretty
much died as an everyday spoken language and was under pressure to change
from Aramaic and later Greek, and it did. But that this change was pretty
much masked by freezing Hebrew spelling so the letter sounds changed along
with the language.

Now I realize that I just outlined a research project—just how was the
original pronunciation of Hebrew according to surviving transliterations of
Hebrew names in other languages. There may not be enough data to make a
proper research project. I have already rejected most post exile
transliterations.

But you are quite right, we have too little information at hand to say either
way.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup