b-hebrew - Re: Iron and Bronze.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Iron and Bronze.
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 17:51:31 +0200

>So even if we accept Ian H's line of argument it tells us only that
>Genesis was written no earlier than the 12th-13th century. This is not a
>very strong claim, it doesn't even rule out authorship by a 13th century
>Moses.

This seems to be hard to fathom, but the HB/OT knows nothing
about the arrival of the Philistines in the twelfth century.
Had the Hebrews already been in Southern Levant at that time
they had to know about their arrival. The texts simply show
them as being there when the Israelites, as they spread into
the area, became aquainted with them. This means that the
stories of Abraham and Abimelek and Isaac and Abimelek post-
date the arrival of the Philistines, but post-date them by
far, so that there is no awareness that there were no
Philistines at the time of attributed to Abraham or Isaac.
The Philistines, who were definitely from Greek or Luwian
background, were even placed within Ham, as though they were
semi-autochthonous. There is no hope of Moses having written
down such stories. (This is where people start running to
gormless manipulation of chronology with its absurd
conclusions.)

And what is an 8th century Nubian pharaoh doing as a son of
Cush in a text you want Moses to have written?

Ian