b-hebrew - Re: Iron and Bronze.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Iron and Bronze.
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:01:53 -0600

Ian,
> Even Genesis seems dimly aware of Dan's position. See
> Gen 49:16, which says, "Dan shall judge his people as if
> one of the tribes of Israel." -- k'xd $b+y y$r'l --, ie
> Dan was not a tribe of Israel, but shall perform like
> one

How on earth do you justify translating K(XD "as *if* one"? That's
not what it says, and every English translation I have found reads
"as one of the tribes," which means something very different. You
can't just slip an off-beat translation like this into the discussion
without backing it up somehow. It may be a translation that
supports your ideas, but that hardly constitutes evidence that it's
correct.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Don't let your mind wander.