b-hebrew - Re: Iron and Bronze.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: jkilmon AT historian.net, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Iron and Bronze.
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:32:46 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/2002 9:39:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jkilmon AT historian.net writes:

> If I were to write a story about my ancestors I
> wouldn't put in their hands items that didn't exist in
> their day, it'd be pointless. So why is Tubal-cain
> mentioned as the first iron worker?

Because these works were written in the Iron Age (8th-7th CE).  I don't
believe these writers knew the distinction between Bronze and Iron Ages.
These types of anachronisms are quite common, are they not?

Even in more modern times

BRUTUS: Alas, good Cassius, do not think of him: If he love Caesar, all that he can do Is to himself, take thought and die for Caesar: And that were much he should; for he is given To sports, to wildness and much company.

TREBONIUS: There is no fear in him; let him not die; For he will live, and laugh at this hereafter.

[Clock strikes]

BRUTUS: Peace! count the clock.

gfsomsel