b-hebrew - Re: Ps 118:7, "helper"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Ps 118:7, "helper"
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:48:32 +0100

On Thu 1 Aug 2002 (12:36:44 +0200), tony.larsson AT cling.gu.se wrote:
> Reading Ps 118, I found a word that mystified me. It says in verse 7:
>
> YHWH LI B:(OZ:RAY (BHS)
> Kurios emoi bohqos (LXX)
> The Lord is with me, he is my helper (NIV)
>
> Now, what is the meaning of the B:(OZ:RAY compound? The KJV takes it as
> "The LORD taketh my part with them that help me", with B as "among" and
> the AY as a plural of people.
[snip]

Compare Psalm 54:4 (54:6 BHS)
HiNNeH 'e:LoHiYM `oZeR LiY : 'a:DoNaY B:SoMe:KeY-NaP:$iY.

But to 118:7, Kirkpatrick writes in his commentary
"7. Jehovah is on my side as my helper] Cp. liv.4. The expression is an
idiomatic one. It denotes not merely /among my helpers/, as one among many,
but 'in the character or capacity of my helpers,' 'as a host of helpers.'
'He sums up in Himself the qualities of a class, viz. the class of helpers.'
(Cheyne)."
(AF Kirkpatrick DD, /The Book of Psalms/ from /The Cambridge Bible for
Schools
and Colleges/, CUP 1902, reprinted 1903, p695).

This use of the preposition Beth is what I have heard described as "Beth
essentia", IIRC.

Shalom

Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>