b-hebrew - Re: Ps 118:7, "helper"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: Tony Larsson <tony.larsson AT cling.gu.se>, b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ps 118:7, "helper"
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:03:13 +0100 (BST)

I'm curious too. Why the 'ay' suffix?
Isn't 'B:(OZ:RAY','with my helper'? Why not an 'iy'
suffix? Is it just because the subject is the LORD?

Many thanks.
Ian.

--- Tony Larsson <tony.larsson AT cling.gu.se>
wrote: > Dear scholars,

> Reading Ps 118, I found a word that mystified me. It
> says in verse 7:
>
> YHWH LI B:(OZ:RAY (BHS)
> Kurios emoi bohqos (LXX)
> The Lord is with me, he is my helper (NIV)
>
> Now, what is the meaning of the B:(OZ:RAY compound?
> The KJV takes it as
> "The LORD taketh my part with them that help me",
> with B as "among" and
> the AY as a plural of people.
>
> But other translations, both modern and the
> venerable LXX, apparently
> understands the AY to be some kind of majestic
> plural of the participle
> (OZ"R, and then perhaps the B could mean something
> like "in the function
> of" - or am I mistaken? Does the word signify that
> the Lord is the
> psalmist's helper, or that he fills the position as
> his "help", an
> abstract noun like "salvation"?
>

> Grateful if you could be (OZ:RAY... :-)
>
> Tony Larsson

> $subst('Email.Unsub')
> To subscribe, send an email to
> join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b