b-hebrew - Re: Ps 118:7, "helper"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: tony.larsson AT cling.gu.se, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Ps 118:7, "helper"
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 01:00:55 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/2002 9:58:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tony.larsson AT cling.gu.se writes:

Reading Ps 118, I found a word that mystified me. It says in verse 7:

YHWH LI B:(OZ:RAY (BHS)
Kurios emoi bohqos (LXX)
The Lord is with me, he is my helper (NIV)

Now, what is the meaning of the B:(OZ:RAY compound? The KJV takes it as
"The LORD taketh my part with them that help me", with B as "among" and
the AY as a plural of people.

But other translations, both modern and the venerable LXX, apparently
understands the AY to be some kind of majestic plural of the participle
(OZ"R, and then perhaps the B could mean something like "in the function
of" - or am I mistaken? Does the word signify that the Lord is the
psalmist's helper, or that he fills the position as his "help", an
abstract noun like "salvation"?

Answering both this and your follow-up together with other questions
regarding the plural.

The BETH prefix can signify "to be among" (so BDB #2). I think this is the
usage here. This would explain the fact that it is a plural participle in
construct state. The suffix is 1st c.s.

"YHWH with regard to me is among my helpers." if you wish to be very
literalistic.

gfsomsel