b-hebrew - RE: TOHUW WA BOHUW in Gen & Jer.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: TOHUW WA BOHUW in Gen & Jer.
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:10:44 +0100

Lawrence, you are entitled to your view, but this is not what Genesis
1:1-2 clearly teaches, though it does not necessarily deny it either.
Jeremiah 4:23 may teach this, although it seems to me that this passage
refers not to past events of creation but to a future judgment,
deliberately portrayed in language suggesting a reversal of creation.

Do you claim that you are taking your understanding of creation from the
Bible? If so, I suggest that you learn the languages it is written in
before attempting to interpret it. Many serious errors have been made by
interpreters relying on translations.

Peter Kirk

consecutiveness
> > but a previous state: "The earth had been TOHU..." The verb form is
not
> > enough to settle this issue decisively, but it is enough to suggest
that
> > as the more probable interpretation.
> >
> > Peter Kirk

These
> > verses
> > > use both the
> > > words 'tohuw wa bohuw.' Jeremiah used it to describe the Southern
> > Kingdom
> > > after its
> > > destruction by the Chaldeans and Israel's enemies. I believe
Genesis