b-hebrew - Re: TOHUW WA BOHUW in Gen & Jer.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Lawrence May <lgmay AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TOHUW WA BOHUW in Gen & Jer.
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 11:44:57 -0700

I am not qualified to debate with you the linguistic constructions of the
Hebrew
language, but your interpretation implies that the heavens and the earth
already
existed in some form before God (majestic plural) or the three persons of the
Godhead
began to prepare it for habitation by man and other living things.

My understanding is that there was a previous creation as stated in verse 1.
There was
a rebellion and the Earth was wasted in the conflict. The imagery of the
Spirit of
God hovering like a mother bird over the earth to warm or hatch implies to me
that the
Earth may have became encased in ice. Science teaches that there was a ice
age on this
Earth as well as a universal flood in Noah's time. (i.e. all the earth has
been covered
by water at one time).