b-hebrew - Re: BR)$YT, the continuing saga.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BR)$YT, the continuing saga.
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 01:10:31 +0200

>Since you quoted Abegg's _The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible_ on the LXX and
>Genesis, what is the
>significance of their note that "the precursor to the Septuagint reading of
>'gathering' (miqveh)
>rather than the traditional Hebrew 'place' is found in the Dead Sea Scroll
>classified as
>4QGenh1. In addition, the accomplishment of God's command, again found in
>the Greek, is evident
>in 4QGenk." Is this not some evidence for a "Hebrew Vorlage" for the LXX?

If you look at the other references to 4QGen(k) it is not
related to LXX. 4QGen(h1) preserves only Gen 1:8-10, so
there is too little to comment on as a whole. What I was
talking about was an LXX textual tradition, not individual
similarities.

>Incidentally, the _Dead Sea Scrolls Bible_ translates "bereshit" as "In the
>beginning God
>created..."

That's the translators' prerogative, following the
traditional translations.

Ian