b-hebrew - Re: BR)$YT, the continuing saga.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BR)$YT, the continuing saga.
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:45:56 -0700

Solomon,
Thanks for picking up this part of the thread. I don't want anybody to
take my subsequent silence for assent to Ian's response; I merely
wanted to satisfy myself that he would indeed find some way to
explain away the evidence that is contrary to his assertion :-) I now
return to quiet mode, at least as far as this topic is concerned.

> Ian,
>
> Since you quoted Abegg's _The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible_ on the LXX and
> Genesis, what is the significance of their note that "the precursor to the
> Septuagint reading of 'gathering' (miqveh) rather than the traditional
> Hebrew 'place' is found in the Dead Sea Scroll classified as 4QGenh1. In
addition, the accomplishment of God's command, again found in the Greek, is
evident in 4QGenk." Is this not some evidence for a "Hebrew Vorlage" for the
LXX?

> Incidentally, the _Dead Sea Scrolls Bible_ translates "bereshit" as "In the
> beginning God created..."
>
> Solomon Landers
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [dwashbur AT nyx.net]

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do
with it.
-Emerson