b-hebrew - Ancient problems with verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ancient problems with verbs
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:33:08 +0200

I thought people might be interested in this citation from the
Talmud which shows that we are not the only ones with problems
understanding Hebrew verb "tenses":

From Bavli Berakot 52b
-------------------------
VI.1 A. The House of Shammai say, "Who created..." [M. 8:5C].
B. Raba said, "Concerning the word 'bara' [created] everyone agrees
that 'bara' implies [the past tense]. They differ concerning
'boré' [creates]. The House of Shammai reckon that 'boré' means,
'Who will create in the future.' And the House of Hillel reckon
that 'boré' also means what was created [in the past]."
C. R. Joseph objected, "'Who forms light and creates darkness'
[Isaiah 45:7], 'Creates mountains and forms the wind' [Amos 4:13],
'Who creates the heavens and spreads them out'" [Isaiah 42:5].
D. "But," R. Joseph said, "Concerning 'bara' and 'boré' everyone
agrees that [the words] refer to the past. They differ as to
whether one should say 'light' or 'lights.'
E. "The House of Shammai reckon there is one light in the fire.
F. "And the House of Hillel reckon that there are many lights in the
fire."
G. We have a Tannaite teaching along the same lines: The House of
Hillel said to the House of Shammai, "There are many illuminations
in the light."

(Translation Jacob Neusner)

Ian

  • Ancient problems with verbs, Ian Hutchesson, 04/02/2002