b-hebrew - Re: QohSV: Qoheleth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: QohSV: Qoheleth
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:09:17 +0200

At 22-05-2001 13:38 Thomas L. Thompson <tlt AT teol.ku.dk> wrote:

> Dear Raymond de Hoop,
> What is wrong? an excellent question. However, it should be observed that
> Mr. Humpal's argument is not really very far from your own, though his
> conclusions stand opposed to yours. That it is Solomon writing in Qohelet
> comes from the text: information which he views as potentially historical if
> proven not entirely impossible and which you call pseudepigraphy. However,
> to support your genre identification you refer to the early-state formative
> stages of a kingdom which had ideological interests in its literature. Yet,
>. Both contexts--yours and Mr.
> Humpals--are literary contexts which have little to do with the critical
> reading of either Qohelet or any other biblical book.

Dear Thomas,

As you undoubtedly may have noticed [:-)] there are different
interpretations of the data (archaeological, epigraphical, historical and
textual) involved. I am aware we have a somewhat different opinion on these
subjects. But to say

> there is neither historical nor textual support for your asserted
> historical "kingdom" or its alledged ideology

is really too easy for me. There are also other scholars (who have proved to
be able to read critically), who assume some historical kernel in the
traditions concerning Solomon. That may imply that there is a big gap
between the Solomon as presented in 1 Kings 1-11 and the Solomon in history;
but that does not necessarily results in an erasing him from history.

Regards,
Raymond

Dr Raymond de Hoop Tel.: ++31 50 553 0115
Boeiersingel 11
NL-9745 CA Groningen
The Netherlands E-mail: rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl