b-hebrew - QohSV: Qoheleth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Raymond de Hoop' <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: QohSV: Qoheleth
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:38:29 +0200

Dear Raymond de Hoop,
What is wrong? an excellent question. However, it should be observed that
Mr. Humpal's argument is not really very far from your own, though his
conclusions stand opposed to yours. That it is Solomon writing in Qohelet
comes from the text: information which he views as potentially historical if
proven not entirely impossible and which you call pseudepigraphy. However,
to support your genre identification you refer to the early-state formative
stages of a kingdom which had ideological interests in its literature. Yet,
there is neither historical nor textual support for your asserted historical
"kingdom" or its alledged ideology. Both contexts--yours and Mr.
Humpals--are literary contexts which have little to do with the critical
reading of either Qohelet or any other biblical book.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas L. Thompson
Professor, University of Copenhagen