b-hebrew - Re: dropping the vowel points, or, how do I get to Modern Hebrew??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Michael Hildenbrand" <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dropping the vowel points, or, how do I get to Modern Hebrew??
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:35:19 -0600

There is a wonderful periodical called "Sha'ar la-matchil" (Gate for the
beginner) which prints a weekly edition in intermediate level Hebrew,
featuring partial pointing which allows a gradual accommodation to a fully
unpointed text. I have used it in the past with 2nd and 3rd year modern
Hebrew college students, and found it helped them make the transition.
I believe you can get subscription information through the Jerusalem Post.
Charles David Isbell