b-hebrew - transliteration garb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <parousia_occ AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: transliteration garb
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 20:2:45

I notice the transliteration system proposed on this site and think that it
is a little odd. For instance, how are you supposed to use a period (.) to
show a daghesh? B."N is supposed to be for son (*ben*)? Is that not a
little strange? The point of a transliteration is to be able to read it
and tell what it is and how it would look in the original language. It
takes way too much to go from B."N to *ben*. Can we suggest a better
system? I know that most do not use the system as it is now, but it would
be nice to have an across-the-board system that is easier to recognize
without the silliness of this one.

Just curious. I like the idea of separating between *qamets* and *patach*,
but when we see an F, do we really think of the sound of A, so that BFNFH
is really *banah*? We need a better system.

Could someone propose one or let me know what we more generally use here?

Jason Hare
OCC