b-hebrew - Re: transliteration garb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: transliteration garb
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 07:42:04 -0700

Jason,
> I notice the transliteration system proposed on this site and think that it
> is a little odd. For instance, how are you supposed to use a period (.) to
> show a daghesh? B."N is supposed to be for son (*ben*)? Is that not a
> little strange? The point of a transliteration is to be able to read it
> and tell what it is and how it would look in the original language. It
> takes way too much to go from B."N to *ben*. Can we suggest a better
> system? I know that most do not use the system as it is now, but it would
> be nice to have an across-the-board system that is easier to recognize
> without the silliness of this one.

Actually, for the most part this is the system used in the CCAT
files and the Westminster database of the Hebrew text. The
reason for the various characters is for font mapping, mostly; cf.
the SPTiberian font available from the TELA site. I suggest you
grab that font and maybe Silver Mountain's SHebrew font, which
uses the same mapping, experiment with doing some typing in
Hebrew with them, and you'll get used to the system. It's like
anything else, it comes with practice.

> Just curious. I like the idea of separating between *qamets* and *patach*,
> but when we see an F, do we really think of the sound of A, so that BFNFH
> is really *banah*? We need a better system.

Actually, yes I do think in these terms when I see BFNFH because
I've worked with it for several years now. In actual practice I don't
usually notate dagesh lene, and with dagesh forte I sometimes use
the period and sometimes just double the letter in question.
Inconsistent, I know, still a matter of convenience. You can
download the basic CCAT transliteration table for both Hebrew and
Greek from my home page, and I suggest you spend some time
working with it. It really doesn't take that long for it to become
second nature.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11