b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew Bible Software & Text -- accents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Naama Zahavi-Ely <nxzaha AT wm.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew Bible Software & Text -- accents
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 13:18:38 -0500

Hello!

I use Bible Windows by Silver Mountain Software; full searchable text of the
Hebrew
Bible including accents, and with full morphological tagging and lexical
entries. It
uses the same mapping as the shebrew font, and one can do grammatical
searches
easily. It also has the greek text (New Testament and LXX), the Latin text,
and many
translations. It is very helpful for finding examples of texts for my
students, and I
use it constantly. In terms of contents, the main difference between Bible
Windows and
Logos as far as the Hebrew text is concerned is the inclusion of accents.
This was
reason enough for me to buy Bible Windows, even though I already had a
searchable fully
vocalized text of the Hebrew Bible. I don't regret it. I also find it
friendly and
easy to use.

There is also a group at Bar Ilan university in Israel who are working on an
electronic
copy of the Bible with accents, and with very extensive searching abilities.
Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, at this point their software
works with the
Hebrew version of Windows only.

By the way, I teach my students to use the accents as help in breaking up a
verse into
smaller units. This involves learning yet another set of markers, and a
different
logic of how to understand them than anything they are used to with modern
punctuation
marks; but it seems to be helpful, at least to some of them. Does anybody
have
experience with teaching accents as syntax help?

Best wishes,

Naama Zahavi-Ely
College of William and Mary
nxzaha AT wm.edu

"Karl M. Bunday" wrote:
<snip>

> I just ordered BibleWorks 4.0 and was dismayed to see your message
> about the lack of accents just before I placed my order. Oh well, I
> can still get good use out of the grammatical tag search engine in
> that product, I think. I teach Hebrew and need a more convenient way
> of finding example sentences to show to my students than Logos
> provides.
>
> > and the 2.0 version of PCStudy Bible,
> > which has the BHS designated as GBH.
>
> Does that have any features that make it worth getting now that I have
> the other two?
>
> > None of these have accents or massorah magna or parva.
>
> It's quite surprising none have the accents. I will make that a
> suggestion for BibleWorks as a matter of product improvement.
>
> > Is there software available that has this capacity? In a
> > related vein, are there Hebrew fonts available with accents?
>
> Most definitely. The Hebrew fonts available from Linguist's Software
>
> http://www.linguistsoftware.com/
>
> has the ability to display ANY Tiberian accent. I run into a few
> glitches in using it under Chinese-language Windows, which are
> documented in the program manual, but I expect it would work very well
> indeed under English Windows. I can get the accent symbols I want
> where I want them with that product.

<snip>