b-hebrew - Re[5]: Translations and Arian Bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[5]: Translations and Arian Bias
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 12:14:43 -0500

Well, I was not trying to make Theophilus an orthodox Trinitarian
(anachronism? not by John Ronning's explanation) Christian. I am just
suggesting that on this particular issue his interpretation matches
the later "orthodox" one, thus disproving any suggestions that that
was an invention of Athanasius or others in the fourth century.

I admit to not knowing much about this Theophilus. But I do know that
in the 2nd century there was a gnostic movement with a partially
Christian basis. Does Theophilus fit in there? If so, that would
explain his thinking. First Paul says Jesus=firstborn, and John says
Jesus=logos. The next generation (by simple mathematics!) makes
firstborn=logos (is there any evidence of this in the earliest
post-biblical Christian writers, the "Apostolic Fathers", does anyone
know?). Then the gnostics want to move to a more spiritualised
teaching, and so they keep firstborn=logos but reject the equation
with a particular man Jesus. Now how this ties up with Philo I don't
know. Maybe not at all. But then I am far from an expert here.

Peter Kirk