b-hebrew - Re: Translations and Arian Bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Edgar Foster <questioning1 AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: Translations and Arian Bias
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:56:16 +0200

Edgar Foster wrote:

> The "core meaning" of "the one who is born first" is clearly not blotted
> out in Ps. 89:27, 28.

I'm not arguing that it is - that's Rolf's straw man.

> Conversely, neither does the verse imply that
> David was born before *anyone*. The writer of the Psalm manifestly
> exclaims that God "placed" David (or the Messiah) as firstborn of the
> kings of the earth (he is PART of the group).

What the Psalm actually says is that God made/will make David a
first-born,
most high with respect to the kings of the earth. The expression
"firstborn
of the kings of the earth" does not appear. That David is PART of the
group
kings of the earth is evident from the context.

> David's capacity of
> "firstborn" is by appointment, yes. But this still doesn't rule out the
> fact that "firstborn" means "one who is born first."

It obviously means the top king here, and has nothing to do with birth
at
all, first or otherwise, unless you can show that the other kings are
somehow "born" later.

> David is placed as the firstborn of the kings of the earth.

God's firstborn who is OVER the kings of the earth.

> In
> comparison to other kings, he enjoys an especial primacy. But why does
> he enjoy this said primacy? Because he is God's firstborn!

No argument from me there - this is how I suggested Paul applies it
(analogously) in Col 1:15 - Christ is God's first-born thus has primacy
over
creation; he also received this office by appointment (at the
resurrection)
so there is no implication there of his being part of the creation.

> In other
> words, it is *as if* David were "born first" in a royal family. Out of
> all his (metaphorical) brothers, he is the "firstborn" (the eldest). As
> such, he enjoys a special status--being more dignified than the rest of
> the royal family. In Ps. 89:27, 28, the psalmist informs us that David
> is akin to being "the beginning of the Father's generative power." Since
> this is the case, he enjoys dignity, excellency, and primacy (Cf. Gen.
> 49:3, 4).

I would say you have a case if it could be shown that the other kings of
the
earth are part of the "royal family," i.e. those "born" later. Instead,
think that it is God's family that is in view (especially note v. 26/27
David "will cry to Me, 'You are my Father, My God, and the rock of my
salvation'"), of which the kings of the earth are enemies (vv. 41 ff).

Regards,

John