b-hebrew - Re[3]: Translations and Arian Bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[3]: Translations and Arian Bias
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 19:20:47 -0500

Dear Rolf,

I almost agree with you. It is just that "firstborn" is only
marginally in use in modern English (of which I am a native speaker -
as distinct perhaps from international-academicese, in which I claim
no expertise!), and so I would suggest "oldest son of all creation" as
a more acceptable literal translation.

I don't feel any obligation to agree even with such authorities as
Bratcher and Nida, and I think they are confused on this passage
because of their failure to understand "firstborn" as synonymous with
"oldest child". But if the learned experts cannot agree on the meaning
of this phrase, what chance does the poor ordinary reader have?
Perhaps we should translate "the xzyxyz of all creation": that would
be just as meaningful to the average readers and would be less likely
to lead them into heresy! But if we want a translation which ordinary
readers can understand, we need to include some kind of interpretation
of this phrase. That is a different question.

Peter Kirk