acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Fwd: comments on BibTeX import, from Jim Pitman

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Daniel Mietchen <daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com>
  • Cc: "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Fwd: comments on BibTeX import, from Jim Pitman
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:22:12 -0700

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Daniel Mietchen
<daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com> wrote:
> Having just imported a small bibtex file, I noticed the following points:
> - Diacritics (Umlaute) are not parsed correctly (example:
> http://acawiki.org/Magnetic_resonance_imaging_of_the_siliceous_skeleton_of_the_demosponge_Lubomirskia_baicalensis
> )

There's an open bug around non-Latin characters in the BIbTeX import
(http://code.creativecommons.org/issues/issue401). If you have a
sample file that fails you can email me directly, that'd be helpful.

> - it would be helpful for the uploader to know that "tag" and
> "summary" fields are sought for, and from which of the bibtex fields
> they are generated.

There's been some discussion about the current code. RIght now it
uses the "note" field for the summary, which has been described as
incorrect. It doesn't seem like there's much agreement; my current
proposal is to only use BibTeX import for bringing in metadata, and
not trying to bring in the summary as well.

> - what about article titles with wiki-special characters (e.g. "/")?

That shouldn't be an issue; MediaWiki will only interpret them as
"sub-pages" if someone creates a page that matches the first part.
For example "Hello/World" is an acceptable, normal wiki page title.
If someone creates the article "Hello" then it becomes a sub-page. I
don't think this is any different from the disambiguation case, where
people need to move pages or create disambiguation pages.

Nathan