acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Fwd: comments on BibTeX import, from Jim Pitman

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jodi AT acawiki.org>
  • To: daniel.mietchen AT googlemail.com, "AcaWiki general (listserv)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Fwd: comments on BibTeX import, from Jim Pitman
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:15:30 +0000

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the comments!

Do you think it would make sense for the user to pick what field to use for the summary, when importing from BibTeX? This could be the note, abstract, or a custom field (since BibTeX ignores fields that aren't in the original spec.)

As you say, 'note' may hold other information. But 'abstract' is a bit problematic because the summary may not be the paper's abstract.

> By the way, do you plan to make the code for the BibTeX importer open?
I'll ask our programmer about this!

>As for scrambling copyrighted abstracts, there are a number of tools
>which do this, e.g.
>http://www.biosemantics.org/jane/ .

Thanks, Daniel--I hadn't noticed this option in Jane:
"We therefore included an option in Jane to 'scramble' your input (see the button below the input box). Scrambling simply entails putting all the words in alphabetical order, and this is done by your browser (i.e. no information is sent for the scrambling). We admit that putting the words in alphabetical order does not completely disguise your input, but it does make it extremely hard to read, and it has no effect on the performance of Jane."
-Jodi