xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] NUX, StreamingPathFilter and OutOfMemoryError

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <wolfgang.hoschek AT mac.com>
  • To: elharo AT metalab.unc.edu
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] NUX, StreamingPathFilter and OutOfMemoryError
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:27:22 -0800

On Nov 22, 2007, at 8:20 AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
Looks like a bug in the java-1.6 SAX XML parser. A heap dump on OOM shows that there is a (single!) instance of com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.XMLStringBuffer that consumes 40 MB of memory in a single char[] array.
The bug disappears when using an official Apache Xerces release instead of sun's weird xerces variant, for example via
java -Xmx10m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError - Djava.endorsed.dirs=/ Users/hoschek/unix/java/share/apache/ xerces-2.9.0/
I suggest using this route as a workaround.

Interesting. Have you reported this to Sun?

Also, are you sure it's not a Xerces version issue? Could have been a bug in Xerces prior to 2.9.0 if something earluer ships with the JDK.

I haven't reported this bug to Sun for lack of time. Feel free to do so if you like.

I've now tested other xerces versions as well via - Djava.endorsed.dirs. There's no bug with the official Apache releases of xerces-2.6.2, xerces-2.7.0, xerces-2.7.1, xerces-2.8.0, xerces-2.8.1, xerces-2.9.0, xerces-2.9.1. As far as I can see the bug only happens with the xml parser bundled with sun java-1.6, which is a fork of some xerces flavour with a variety of unidentifiable mods and patches by sun. Also the bug does not happen with what's bundled with sun java-1.5.

wolfgang.