xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Serialize selected elements to a Writer.

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Serialize selected elements to a Writer.
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:04:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ed Davies <edavies AT nildram.co.uk> wrote:

> David Bullock wrote:
> > My own ruminations tend towards the idea that the
> Writer should itself be
> > performing the escaping, since the target encoding
> of the Writer is private?
>
> Writer can't perform the escaping because it doesn't
> know that
> it's writing XML.

Worse, the same Writer in general has to also be used
for outputting elements (and attributes they contain),
PIs and comments, quoting for which is different. So
there are at least two output modes, and Writer would
need to be indicated what are the encoding rules.

> That Writer's behaviour with unsupported characters
> is undefined

> and that OutputStreamWriter seems to write
> substitution sequences
> for them are both flaws in the design of java.io, in
> my humble

To be fair, though, nothing prevents a
Writer/OutputStream implementation from throwing an
i/o exception in such situations.

-+ Tatu +-