xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Charset encoding problem

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Alex Blewitt <alex_blewitt AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Charset encoding problem
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:32:45 +0100 (BST)

I'm trying to parse an RSS feed, which is being served
from a server as Content-Type: application/xml, and
the XML identifies itself as encoding="ISO-8859-1" in
the XML preamble.

When I try to parse it, I get a SAX exception:

new
Builder().build("http://bandv.hopto.org/gallery/rss.php";);

nu.xom.ParsingException: Character conversion error:
"UTF-8 encoding of character 0x001b2ba0 can't be
converted to Unicode." (line number may be too low).
at line 1, column -1 in
http://bandv.hopto.org/gallery/rss.php

As far as I can tell, the document is valid
ISO-8859-1, although there are some characters that
are oustide of ASCII (for example, there's &ouml; in
the title). However, I'm not sure whether there's a
real problem with the document, or whether the parser
is assuming it to be UTF-8 (which it's not). Having
debugged a little into the code, it looks like it's a
SAX parser exception that XOM is re-wrapping.

Can anyone help?

Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling
worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com