xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] error I can't explain...

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] error I can't explain...
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:49:32 -0400

Michael Kay scripsit:

> 2C6 is a non-spacing circumflex,

In fact it's a small spacing circumflex. The non-spacing (combining)
circumflex is U+0302, which is a legal XML 1.0 character.

> and it isn't allowed as a name character in
> XML 1.0, though it is allowed in XML 1.1.

It was incorrectly classified as a symbol modifier rather than a modifier
letter in Unicode 2.0, so it was excluded from XML 1.0. The classification
was corrected in Unicode 4.0.

> The question is, were you trying to get a non-spacing circumflex into a
> name, or is this some random noise caused by misrecognizing the encoding of
> your input file?

Quite so.

--
I could dance with you till the cows John Cowan
come home. On second thought, I'd http://www.ccil.org/~cowan